- Each license expires on October 1 of the year following its issuance.
- Annual renewal period is July 1 through September 30.
- Annual renewal fees ($130 for Physical Therapists, $93 for Physical Therapists Assistants).
- 10 hours of continuing education required at renewal. (details below)
- Practicing without a valid license can include a fine of up to $500, a term of imprisonment, or both.
COURSE PROVIDERS: Please be advised that pre-approval for courses offered is not required. We will honor any coursework relevant to the practice of physical therapy.
It is your professional judgment, to determine if the continuing education activities completed are applicable, appropriate, and meet the requirements of the Board. All continuing education offerings, regardless of source will be accepted provided that it is directly related to the licensee’s practice of physical therapy and meets the GENERAL GUIDELINES.
- Each physical therapist and physical therapist assistant licensed to practice by this Board shall complete for each compliance period, a minimum of ten (10) hours of continuing education activities, unless license was obtained by Exam within the past calendar year.
- October 1 through September 30 of the next year shall constitute a compliance period.
- All licensees must complete a minimum of two (2) hours of Alabama Jurisprudence continuing education every five years beginning in 2020.
- Expired license may, within 5 years of its expiration date, be renewed on the payment to the board of set fees.
- Licenses expired more than 5 years may be obtained only by complying with the provisions relating to the issuance of an original license.
Original License Replacement
- A licensee may be issued an official replacement license upon completing the appropriate documentation and payment of a $10 fee.
- The licensee must complete the Affidavit of License form.